"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." ~George Bernard Shaw

"Look at everything as though you were seeing it either for the first or last time." ~Betty Smith, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn


Friday, October 08, 2010

My Birthday Week

My birthday is October 2nd and I fully intend
to celebrate all month!
This first photo is of September's full moon....
Here's some of my garden's bounty! I made lots of
tomato sauce this year and Delicata squash gnocci.....yum

Our good friends Bill and Ewana were coming up for a long weekend
from Weed, California to help celebrate...
So I made some Oatmeal Cranberry Coconut Orange cookies
in case we got a it peckish in between meals...hahahah

Russell and I walked down to inspect the massive sewer
interceptor project going on....the lake has been drawn down
about 25' to enable replacement of our sewer line.

Incredible project- it's taking more than a year to complete

We went to Marylhurst University
(my alma mater)
to celebrate the Art Gym's 30th year!
Greg Grenon and Mary Josephson were two of
the artists exhibiting in this marvelous show.

http://www.marylhurst.edu/theartgym/index.php

http://www.laurarusso.com/artists/grenon_g.html

http://www.laurarusso.com/artists/josephson_m.html

Wild mushrooms at the Lake Oswego Farmers Market!

I purchased some Lobster and Shitake mushrooms

Russell made a fabulous pasta dish with the mushrooms...

Huge artichokes!

Someone let these zucchini get out of control in the garden!

Gorgeous colors in the fall

Later this past week we went to the Green Dragon Brewery
and saw these goats in a field- they were with a whole bunch
more and were clearing all the brambles from the field.
Goats for Hire... the sign read" the goats are here to enjoy
and feast upon what spontaneously grows on this urban meadow.
Unlike gas-powered mowers, goats require no fossil fuels
to trim the vegetation" How clever is that?
and here's a pic of this months flower arrangement
that I put together for Blue Sky Gallery-
Oregon Center for the Photographic Arts
a non-profit gallery that is supported by
a huge group of volunteers
This month is a special month for Blue Sky
It's the 35th year it has been exhibiting photographs
and it started with just 3 photographers with a wonderful vision.
Mazeltov!
and finally...last but NOT least here's a little
video of Bill and Ewana's little
Cairn Terrier doing what he does best...
entertaining us! Enjoy!




7 comments:

  1. we share the same birthday.
    what a rich and informative post.
    festive and fun to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Artichoke & zucchini! Mmm, any leftovers? Happy birthday week, you've got the right idea, celebrate it as long as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Belated birthday wishes! God, I'd really love to have the choice of all those exotic foods. And those cookies!!

    lol...I love how thick animals can be! Mind you, my younger son was forever covering his head with a tea towel and running into things. Mainly walls!

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://jingleyanqiu.wordpress.com/awards-from-the-blogging-universe/two-lovely-award-4-u/

    two awards for you,
    have a smiling day!jiyanwoo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday! Hope it's a gorgeous week of celebrations!

    www.angiemuresan.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was born in CA -- now I REALLY miss it -- it was the artichokes -- thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy birthday, Kathe! Bit late, but full of heart.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and will attempt to reply to each one. However, lately I have been getting "Unknown" comments that are linked to some sort of web page. I will never open this sort of comment and will immediately mark as spam. I am not interested in opening something that could be detrimental to my blog security etc. Never have enjoyed hackers! Thanks!